So after all those trials and tribulations, you have found the job you were looking for. Now, you want to make sure you remain in the good books of your boss, which is a ticket to a bright career. You don’t have to lick your boss’s heels in order to impress him. All it takes is attention to detail and dedication at work to be your boss’s favorite.
Here are 10 tips which work well in impressing your boss and improve your chances of quick promotion.
- Meticulous attention to detail- Most bosses are perfectionists. They strive for perfection in everything they do, and they expect the same from their employees. Make sure you show those trails whenever you are given a job, however big or small.
- Give more than is expected of you- If you really want to impress your boss, make sure you don’t stick to your profile only. If an opportunity exists, try helping in other areas as well. Bosses love to have people who are not afraid of handling diverse profiles at once.
- Be a team player- A good organization is made from a good team, not from star individuals alone. Always try and work a team player, even if you have personal problems with some of the team members. Adopting a professional attitude always goes down well with bosses.
- Be proactive- Bosses love people who listen to them and carry out their orders to the tee. But they love people more when they take proactive decisions for the good of the company. Keep the orders in mind but also try to apply your intelligence to every situation.
- Stay organized- Nothing impresses bosses more than a well organized employee. Keep your desk clean, and arrange files on your computer so that they are easy to find when needed. Keeping your official mailbox organized also helps matters.
- Keep a sense of humor- Nobody likes a brooding person sitting next to them. As it is, the daily routine can become quite boring after a while. There is nothing like a good joke, to help people around you lighten up. A witty person is always liked by everybody around, including your boss.
- Don’t be afraid to point out mistakes- Bosses are humans too, and they are susceptible to making mistakes. You don’t have to agree to everything they say. Have your opinions, and if you think that your boss is wrong somewhere, don’t be afraid to point it out. Of course, while doing so, say it in a very courteous and polite manner. If your boss is good, he/she won’t mind accepting the mistake, and you will automatically be in their good books.
- Maintain a positive attitude- Negativity sells only in one field- daily news. Try and remain positive at work all the time. Even if your team has been given a challenging task, remain optimistic, and your boss will love your never-say-die attitude.
- Help others around you- Don’t just concentrate on achieving your own goals at work. Helping others achieve theirs’ always gets noticed by those higher up than you. Do good for others and good shall happen to you.
- Stay honest- If you have botched something up, don’t hesitate to tell the truth. If you are looking to quit the job, don’t lie about it either. Honesty is always appreciated by everybody, more so by bosses.