Luck has only a small part to play in where we end up 20 years from now. Most of it depends on our hard work, our focus and the level of planning we have done, when it comes to our life and our career. Given the competitive work scenarios of today, it is essential to have a clear career path to begin with.
Here are six tips you can keep in mind which will help you plan a great career ahead of you.
- Invest time in networking- You will be surprised what a good network can do for you. Spend time building a trustworthy network of people around you. These could be people in your office, professionals on Linkedin who are from the same industry as you are etc. Remember, don’t forget people at a lower level in an organization while networking. You never know who might help you in times of need.
- Keep adding to your skill set- Gone are the days when you would get a job and spend the rest of your life in the same organization, without a problem. Today, the job market is highly competitive. IN order to survive in this highly competitive world, it is necessary to keep adding to your skill set. That ways, you are likely to attract better opportunities your way. Organizations are always looking for employees who can bring something extra to the table other than the basic qualifications needed for a job.
- Work on your soft skills- We are living in a global world today where almost everybody is expected to interact with the clients. Just because you are heading the technical side of things does not mean you won’t have to interact with the end-consumers. Organizations today lay special emphasis on soft skills. Brush up on your soft skills in order to stay competitive and eligible for better roles.
- Know when to make the move- Some people tend to change their jobs every year. They jump at every offer which is better than what their current organization is offering them. That may get them to move fast in the initial phase of their career, but such a practice comes back to haunt them. Organizations always prefer employees who stay with an organization for at least 3-4 years. In order to make quick and sustainable progress in your career, you need to know when to make the move. It shouldn’t be too early and it shouldn’t be too late as well.
- Broaden your horizon- Today, there are immense opportunities within organizations itself. You could tap into these opportunities rather than look elsewhere. Try looking for work opportunities in your current organization which are beyond your profile. It is a sure fire way to making quick career progress.
- Seek help of a mentor- A mentor can help guide your career in the right direction. He may not be your superior or somebody from your current organization. He could be anybody who has good knowledge of your industry and knows the way forward. Seeking the help of a mentor can give wings to your career.