Importance of General Awareness
Nowadays, the importance of having a good hold on general awareness has become a necessity for anybody who aspires to get through competitive examinations in a successful way. General awareness has become an essential part of almost all the major competitive examinations, be it government organizations or private organizations. It determines the level of knowledge that a candidate is having about the surroundings and the world in brief. General awareness is also termed as functional knowledge due to the fact that it comprehensively interacts with the surroundings. As a job seeker, the candidates are expected to be highly aware of the major events that have taken place or that are taking place in the world and the local environment in order to be preferred. There is no doubt in the fact that companies look for candidates who can increase their profit by a certain percentage from time to time. But more than that, the companies look for candidates who are well versed with global and national issues and events and is suitable to be involved in intellectual discussions with eminent personalities.
Tips to prepare for general awareness exam
10 of the most effective tips to prepare you for general awareness exams are as follows:
- Literature Reading: You must involve yourself in reading as much as possible. There are numerous literatures around you that can help you increase your general awareness, such as – newspapers, magazines, journals, competition preparation books, etc.
- Writing down important pieces of information: You can also improve your GA by regularly writing down any piece of global, national or local information, which you think might be helpful for you in your GA. This is a good way to memorize things.
- Discussion Forums: There are numerous discussion forums on the internet today through various websites. These forums involve knowledgeable discussions in innumerable fields and going through them and taking part in them can help you improve your general awareness.
- Listening to daily news on TV/Radio: You may try the method of listening to the news broadcast on TV or radio on a daily basis. You might not be aware, but your ears might capture at least some of the important information which you are listening or watching and thus, get it stored in your brain for future references.
- Watching Docudramas: Watching news channels on TV would certainly sharpen your current affairs part of general awareness, but for the awareness of the events and personalities that existed in the past times, watching documentaries can be of really good help.
- TV shows on quizzing events: If you happen to come across any quiz shows on television, make sure that you watch it. This is because you gain a huge amount of unknown general knowledge while watching the show. You will be in a sporty mood while watching the show and information is captured more effectively in that case.
- Participate in/Play quiz games: There are many ways in which you can play quiz games. Playing these games will certainly help you retain a lot of answers to general awareness topics up to a great extent.
- Random searches on informative websites: There are many websites on the internet which provide historical information on any topic. You may randomly jump from one topic to another to gain knowledge.
- Conversations: You must indulge yourself in having knowledgeable conversations with people having great general awareness levels. This could help you in improving your GA as you get to learn a lot of things from them while you participate in the conversation.
- Revision: You must inculcate the habit of revision in yourself. This will help you to rememorize the things that you grasped in the previous days while trying to improving your general awareness.